Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Fun!

My little cuties amaze me everyday with how much they can learn in such a short amount of time.  The week and a half leading to Thanksgiving break really blew me away.  They left for break talking about Squanto, Pilgrims, and comparing feasts that we eat to Pilgrims'.  Such smarties!

I tried to grab a lot of pictures of our learning, but didn't quite snap them all.  Here are some recaps of the fun!

We have been practicing patterns and used these little guys to help us build patterns.  Click below to grab him!

http://www.teacherweb.com/TX/Copperfield/MrsCrowder/Mr.-Turkey-pattern.pdf

We then added that same turkey to a colander for students to have a standing turkey to make patterns.  We are still working on patterns and will be all year.  This was another way to practice in centers and add some fine motor practice as well.

We also made play-do turkeys using dough, feathers, and my little outlet covers again.  I hot glued to eyes, beak, and waddle to it.  Another way to practice those patterns!


Another math activity was our Roll a Turkey game.  They loved this and I loved my parent volunteer who cut, laminated, and folded the dice.


In Literacy Stations, one station had a feed the turkey game.  I hot glued magnets to little stuffed turkeys and students "fed" the turkeys by making them peck at magnetic letters.  Then they wrote the letters the turkeys ate on a marker board.



Another Literacy Station was listening to stories in our teepee.


We also learned how Squanto taught the Pilgrims to grow vegetables by making the soil fertile with a dead fish.  I modeled this in whole group.


Then my students simulated it with mashed up Oreos (soil) and a Goldfish cracker.


While they were at recess, I placed "corn" in their cups to simulated the corn growing.


We also added fish toys, soil, and crops to the sensory table, as well as some fun Pilgrim hats.


We also made these little Pilgrims to go on our Mayflower.



I also pulled out my Mayflower hat freebie from my store.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Mayflower-Hat-Freebie-421810

For a family project, families helped decorate feathers of things their child is thankful for.


Oh, and if you haven't heard, TPT is having a Cyber Monday sale!








0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...